Hello, I'm Lenae, Jillian's mom. Occasionally I will be guest posting here and sharing a parent's point of view. Jillian began this blog to answer some of the questions she gets about Celiac Disease and living Gluten Free. This is her blog so she selects the post topics but has agreed to let me share once in a while.
When we received Jillian's Celiac diagnosis I had mixed emotions. I was relieved to know what was wrong with her and how to fix it but overwhelmed at the prospect of providing a gluten free diet in a gluten loving world. I still wonder how Jillian will make it through college without Pizza or Ramen noodles. We try to focus on the day to day and enjoy our girl who is healthy.
When Jillian was diagnosed, our pediatrician, who's wife and step-daughter have CD, told me that CD is Jillian's disease and advised me to let her manage it. That's great advice that I pass on to anyone I've talked to about having a kid go GF. Jillian is in charge of managing her CD. She reads labels, cooks meals and keeps herself healthy. As her mom I am proud of her anyway but I am especially proud of how she handles being different from other kids with grace and joy.